Our belief: the more students we help educate through travel, the more positive our future will be.
Creating extraordinary people
This is more than an overseas stint. We empower students to take ownership, learn vital life skills and develop a better understanding of themselves, the world and their place in it.
Unlike anything found in a travel guide, standard student trip or in a classroom, our experiences help students uncover their own unique abilities. They become better versions of themselves through:
Our Programs engage students in critical thinking, problem solving and decision making in contexts difficult to simulate in school. The consolidation of ideas and skills through feedback, reflection and application, in a new environment, makes our journeys one of the most powerful learning experiences a young person can partake in.
Unlike a package tour our programs encourage students to make decisions, from planning the itinerary, to managing the team’s travel budget, through to organising transport, accommodation and food. Primarily student-led, our journeys give teams the opportunity to flourish and discover their own unique leadership styles and abilities.
Resilience & personal growth
Travelling in the developing world is challenging. Our students are eased out of their comfort zones and encouraged to think for themselves. They adapt, learn how to collaborate and above all, how to bounce back from adversity.
Mindfulness, self-awareness and gratitude
The opportunity to slow down, disconnect from social media and focus on the present moment is rare at home. Through reflection and exposure to new cultures, our travellers learn to appreciate the smaller, quieter moments. This newfound perspective fosters awareness and a sense of gratitude for the opportunities they’ve otherwise taken for granted.
Global awareness & social responsibility
Exposing students to global issues helps their development into socially-aware citizens. Through rewarding community service projects, local immersion and outdoor adventure, we expand their perspective on other cultures and the environment, bringing to light their own unique impact on this earth.
We believe the first step to a student being a socially aware citizen is to see and respect the world as it is. Rather than pay lip service to the term “responsible travel” we actually put people before profit. A local’s livelihood, her landscape and culture comes first. Through responsible travel we can change the world—everything revolves around not only striving to, but also teaching how, to be responsible travellers.
“We sent away our children and in return received young adults who have a better outlook and appreciation of humanity. It was well worth the investment. Thank you to all involved.”
Len Felesina, Parent of Student at Rockhampton Grammar School (Vietnam Expedition)
Creating extraordinary memories
Creating experiences you can’t get anywhere else starts with conducting trips like no one else. Every program is aligned with our vision, a code of conduct and UN sustainability goals—including the universal sustainability principles of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
We are the first school based expedition travel company in the world to be accepted as a Participant in the United Nations Global Compact.
Our code of conduct
Use business as a force for good
- Work towards a long-term vision whilst being aware of the impact we have on our planet.
- Have good governance in place to plan, manage and understand our impact.
- Build awareness in our travellers, suppliers, staff and stakeholders on their social and environmental responsibilities.
- Continue to partner with responsible tourism providers and ensure all stakeholders adhere to our Supplier Code of Conduct.
- Respect the local customs and cultures of every community we visit.
- Provide employment and training opportunities for local people.
- Use locally owned infrastructure for transport and accommodation.
- Aim to spread the distribution of financial benefits fairly amongst local people, communities and operators.
Adhere to sustainable tourism best practice
- Ensure ongoing support for communities and longevity of projects.
- Listen to the needs of communities first and foremost.
- Continue to align with United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Promote environmental and social responsibility
- Work towards the protection of the environment, both locally and globally by using resources in an efficient, fair and responsible way.
- Design our programs to limit the physical impact on our planet.
- Protect the human rights of staff, travellers, suppliers and local communities, as well as other stakeholders impacted by our business, treating all with fairness and respect.
- Promote equity across our global community and protect our most vulnerable societies.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
Protect animal welfare
- Promote responsible tourism and encourage customers to be animal friendly travellers.
- Protect wild and domestic animals used in tourism by not offering or promoting venues where animals are exploited.
- Maintain our pledge to World Animal Protection.
We are the first high school expedition company in the world to be accepted as a Participant in the United Nations Global Compact.
The UN sustainable development goals
UN Sustainable Development Goals are the world’s largest corporate sustainability initiative. Our programs are aligned with these, including the universal sustainability principles of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption.
As a result, Antipodeans’ students, schools and parents are part of a worldwide movement with real and lasting purpose. By participating in our programs you are contributing towards a more sustainable and prosperous future.
The specific goals we are working towards are:
- No poverty
- Zero hunger
- Good health and wellbeing
- Quality education
- Gender equality
- Clean water and sanitation
- Affordable and clean energy
- Decent work and economic growth
- Industry, innovation and infrastructure
- Reduced inequalities
- Sustainable cities and communities
- Responsible consumption and infrastructure
- Climate action
- Life below water
- Life on land
- Peace, justice and strong institutions
- Partnerships for the Goals
For more information, see the goals in full on the UN website.
We’re passionate about shaping the next generation. If you are too, get in touch.